Non-invasive Technique to Automate the General Movements Assessment G. Hewavitharana, I. Manawadu, R. Pytathma, D. P. M. H. Dharmananda, A. Wimalasena, S. Gunawardhana This project features the first phase of designing a machine learning model to automate the General Movement Assessment using infant video library at Karapitiya Teaching Hospital. Key Words: Cerebral Palsy, GMA, Automating…
PhD (Waterloo, Canada), MEng (AIT, Thailand), BScEng (Hons) (Moratuwa, Sri Lanka)
Dr. Subodha Gunawardena is a Senior Lecturer attached to the Department of Electrical and Information Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Ruhuna. He completed his bachelor’s degree in Electronics and Telecommunications from University of Moratuwa with a first class in 2004. Subodha was the recipient of the King’s scholarship (for development of Education in Asia) in the field of Telecommunication and Information & Communication Technology (ICT) from the government of Thailand in 2006. He completed his master’s degree in Telecommunications from Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand in 2008, obtaining the awards for best thesis and most outstanding student in the field of Telecommunications and ICT. He completed his PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) specialized in Cognitive Radio Networks form University of Waterloo (UoW), Canada in 2013. Subodha received the best conference paper award in the field of multimedia for year 2011 for paper titled “Voice capacity of cognitive radio networks”, awarded by the IEEE multimedia communications technical committee and graduate student scholarship award for outstanding academic performance during 2008-2012 period. Subsequently, he worked as a postdoctoral research fellow in the department of ECE, UoW, in 2012. Subodha has an ample amount of industry experience working as a firmware developer for different embedded systems at Canon fuji-Susono research labs, Japan (2005-2006) and Neoterra systems (Motorola platinum partner), Canada (2014-2015). He was a member of Molex industrial automations team (Canada) developing inter-robot communications for industrial robots from 2015 to 2016. He worked with South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine and Sri Lanka Technological Campus as a Senior Lecturer from 2016 to 2019 pursuing research interests in Embedded systems and Wireless networks.
- Gunawardena and W. Zhuang, “Modeling and Analysis of Voice and Data over Cognitive Radio Networks,” SpringerBriefs in Computer Science, March. 2014
- Modeling and analysis of voice and data in cognitive radio networks, PhD Thesis, University of Waterloo Canada, May 2013.
- Relay selection in cooperative communication networks, Master Thesis, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, May 2008.
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Gunawardena and W. Zhuang, “Service response time of elastic data traffic in cognitive radio net-works,” IEEE J. of Seletc. Areas of Commun., March 2013.
- Gunawardena and W. Zhuang, “Capacity analysis and call admission control in distributed cognitive radio networks,” IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 3110-3120, Sept. 2011.
Indexed Peer Reviewed Full Length Conference Papers
- Subodha Gunawardena, Tharukshi Dissanayake, Pasindu Piyathilaka and Rasha Mohoammad, “Bandwidth Optimization for Fleet Monitoring Systems,” Proc. 2021 2nd International Conference for industrial and information systems (ICIIS), 2021, pp. 1-5.
- S. Gunawardena, D.P.M.H. Dharmananda, D.C.V.A. Wimalasena and U.R.R. Piyathma, “Non-Invasive Technique to Automate General Movements Assessment,” Proc. 2021 2nd International Conference for industrial and information systems (ICIIS), 2021, pp. 1-6.
- Manawadu, S. Gunawardena, N. Madhusanka, and D Rathnayake, “An Approach Towards Detecting Circular Fidgety Movements Using Machine Learning”, in Proceeding of 2nd IEEE INCET2021, May 2021.
- D.K.Upeksha Chathurani, Subodha Gunawardena, A.H.Wijethunge, “Rehabilitation robotics for Arthritis,” Proc. Indiana Summit 2019, Oct. 2019.
- Gunawardena and W. Zhuang, “Service response time of elastic data traffic in cognitive radio net-works with SPT service discipline,” Proc. IEEE Globecom’12, Dec. 2012.
- Gunawardena and W. Zhuang, “On-o voice capacity of single-hop cognitive radio networks with distributed channel access control,” Proc. IEEE ICC’12, June 2012.
- Gunawardena and W. Zhuang, “Voice capacity of cognitive radio networks for both centralized and distributed channel access control,” Proc. IEEE Globecom’10, Dec. 2010.
- Gunawardena and W. Zhuang, “Voice capacity of cognitive radio networks,” Proc. IEEE ICC’10, May 2010.
- Gunawardena and N. Rajatheva, “SEP formula for single relay selection in a multiple relay environment over Rayleigh fading channels,” Proc. IEEE CCECE’08, May 2008.
Talks and Presentations
- “Selection diversity in cooperative communication systems”, at Wireless Signal Processing & Networking Workshop – Advanced Wireless Technologies for Future Mobile Communications Systems, Sponsored by Tohoku University (Japan) Global COE Hosted by Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), 2008.
- “Color Matching Device” at Proceedings at IEE young Members Session (Organized by IEE Young Members Section), Aug 2002.
- Member of the Board of Management at Dialog-UoR 5G Innovation Centre
- Member of the ICT committee, FoE, UoR
- Member of the Sports Advisory Board, UoR
- Chairman of Technical Evaluation Committees for UoR and Local government institutions.
- Consultant Telecotran Limitted, Bangladesh
- Co-recipient of the Research grant to Develop Medicus+, a Robot for Remote Patient Monitoring System to combat COVID-19. A grand received through the Technology Transfer Unit of University of Ruhuna offered by World Bank AHEAD project, 2020.
- Responsive Research Seed Grant, Awarded by School of Post graduate Studies & Research, Sri Lanka Technological Campus, Padukka, Sri Lanka for “Failure Monitoring & Localizing System for Bolted Joints”, 2019.
- Co-recipient of Indo-Sri Lanka Research Grants, Awarded by Ministry of Research and Technology, Sri Lanka, to peruse a study on developing indoor robot fleet in assisting search and rescue in hazardous environments, 2017.
- Multimedia Communications Best Conference Paper Award, Awarded by the IEEE multimedia communications technical committee for the work on voice service support over cognitive radio networks, 2011.
- Faculty of Engineering Graduate Scholarship Award, University of Waterloo, Canada. Awarded for excellent academic and research performances in each academic term, by the Dept. of E&CE, 2008 – 2012 (received 3 times – maximum a student can receive)
- The Sonera prize for the most outstanding academic performance in the field of Telecommunication, Awarded by the Dept. Telecommunications Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 2008.
- The A. B. Sharma memorial price the best thesis from the field of Information & Communication Technologies and Telecommunications, Awarded by the Dept. Telecommunications Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 2008.
- The Kings scholarship for the development of education in Asia, Awarded for one person in each field of study, by the ministry of higher education, Thailand, 2006.
- W. J. T. Small Award, Awarded for the best student in mathematics stream, by Richmond College, Galle, Sri Lanka 1998.