SMART POWER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM Rajitha Udawalpola, Taisuke Masuta The aim of this project is to implement a reliable energy monitoring system which can measure current and voltage values to calculate useful parameters in order to produce useful outcomes or to carry out certain functionalities like device identification, pattern recognition, cost prediction etc. For this a…
PhD (Uppsala, Sweden), BScEng (Hons) (Peradeniya)
+ 94 718 578608
Dr. Rajitha Udawalpola is a Senior Lecturer attached to the Department of Electrical and Information Engineering. He joined the department in 2003. He graduated from the University of Peradeniya in Sri Lanka in 2002. He won the Professor Jayasekara award for the best undergraduate project in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. He completed Ph.D. studies at the Department of Information Technology, Uppsala University, Sweden in 2010
In 2017 he worked as a visiting researcher at Meijo University, Nagoya, Japan. He served as the head of the department from 2019 February to 2020 March.
Dr. Rajitha was on sabbatical leave from March 2020 and worked as a researcher at the University of Connecticut (UConn), USA. He resumed his duties at the department in August 2022 and currently serving as the head of the department.
- Optimization: apply optimization algorithms and parallel algorithms to solve problems in engineering
- Deep Learning: apply deep learning techniques to detect features of images.
- Teaching and Learning in higher education: Curricular Development, Assessment, and Evaluation, Outcomes-based education.
- Meijo University, Nagoya, Japan.
- EE2201 Object Oriented Programming
- EE4303 Data Structures and Algorithms
- EE4106 Software Engineering Principles
- EE5207Internet Technologies (TE)
- EE7204 Scientific Computing (TE)
- EE8203 High Performance Computing (TE)
- Doctoral thesis: Shape Optimization for Acoustic Wave Propagation Problems, ( Uppsala University, Disciplinary Domain of Science and Technology, Mathematics and Computer Science, Department of Information Technology, Division of Scientific Computing.) 2010 https://uu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:286603/FULLTEXT01.pdf
Peer Reviewed Journals
Indexed Peer Reviewed Full Length Conference Papers
- Mahendra Udawalpola, A Hasan, AK Liljedahl, A Soliman, C Witharana, Operational-scale GeoAI for Pan_Arctic permafrost feature detection from high-resolution satellite imagery, International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing & Spatial Information Sciences, Volume 44, pages 175-180, 2021 pdf
- Amit Hasan, Mahendra R Udawalpola, Chandi Witharana, Anna K Liljedahl, Counting Ice-Wedge polygons from space: Use of Commercial Satellite Imagery to monitor changing Arctic Polygonal Tundra. ISPRS-International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences Volume 44, pages 67-72. 2021. pdf
- T. Masuta, E. Mizukami, K. Takahashi, R. Udawalpola, N. Yamaguchi and H. Ohtake, “Operation of Battery Energy Storage Systems Considering Transmission Network in Bulk Power System with Large-scale Photovoltaic Systems,” 2019 14th Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), 2019, pp. 401-406, doi: 10.1109/ICIIS47346.2019.9063257.
- K. Takahashi, T. Masuta, R. Udawalpola, K. M. Liyanage and H. Ohtake, “Simultaneous Operation Scheduling of Generators and Battery Energy Storage System based on Actual and Forecasted Photovoltaic Power Outputs,” 2019 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies (SEST), 2019, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/SEST.2019.8848996.
- R. Udawalpola, T. Masuta, H. Ohtake and J. G. Da Silva Fonseca, “Optimal Scheduling of Generators and BESS using Forecasting in Power System with Extremely Large Photovoltaic Generation,” 2019 IEEE Milan PowerTech, 2019, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/PTC.2019.8810919.
- T. Masuta, T. Eguchi, R. Udawalpola, H. Ohtake and J. G. d. S. F. Junior, “Application of Prediction Intervals to Probabilistic Reliability Evaluation of Unit Commitment Based on Day-ahead Forecast of PV Power Output,” 2018 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies (SEST), 2018, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/SEST.2018.8495866.
- R. Udawalpola, T. Masuta, H. Ohtake and J. G. da Silva Fonseca, “Demand and Supply Operations of Power Systems with Battery Energy Storage System Using Photovoltaic Forecasting with Prediction Intervals,” 2018 International Conference on Smart Energy Systems and Technologies (SEST), 2018, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/SEST.2018.8495857.
- Abeykoon, V.; Kankanamdurage, N.; Senevirathna, A.; Ranaweera, P.; Udawalpola, R. Real Time Identification of Electrical Devices Through Power Consumption Pattern Detection. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Micro and Nano Technologies, Modelling and Simulation, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1–3 March 2016; pp. 1–3
Local Research Forums
- 吉岡 大晶,加藤 幸嗣,高橋 康平,益田 泰輔,Udawalpola Rajitha,大竹 秀明 Basic Study on Rolling Supply-demand Operation and Scheduling of Generators and Battery Energy Storage System in Bulk Power System(Part 2) [In Japanese] 電気学会研究会資料. The papers of technical meeting on semiconductor power converter, IEE Japan 電気学会 2020-03-05 2020 pages 77-81 https://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/40022216278/en/
- 高橋 康平,益田 泰輔, Herath Akila Asansana, Liyanage Kithsiri, M.,Udawalpola Rajitha Basic study on Flexibility Evaluation of Coordinated Operation Schedule of Generators and Battery Energy Storage System in Bulk Power System 電気学会研究会資料. PSE = The papers of Technical Meeting on “Power Systems Engineering”, IEE Japan 電気学会 2020-03-05 2020 pages 101-106 https://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/40022217875/en/
- 高橋 康平,益田 泰輔,Udawalpola Rajitha, Liyanage K.M.,大竹 秀明 Basic Study on Daily Operation Method of Battery Energy Storage System Considering Unit Commitment [In Japansese] 電気学会研究会資料. The papers of technical meeting on semiconductor power converter, IEE Japan 電気学会 2019-03-07 2019 61-69・71-75 25-29 https://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/40021871415/en
- 高橋 康平,益田 泰輔,Udawalpola Rajitha, Liyanage K. M.,大竹 秀明 Scheduling and Operation Method of Battery Energy Storage System and Generators Considering Large PV Forecast Error [In Japanese] 電気学会研究会資料. The papers of Technical Meeting on “Power Systems Engineering”, IEE Japan 電気学会 2019-09-19 2019 17-21 https://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/40022032132/en/
- Mahendra Rajitha Udawalpola, et.al. High performance image analysis workflow designs for automated mapping of ice-wedge polygons from high-resolution satellite imagery, Regional Conference on Permafrost and Engineering (RCOP), October 2021, Virtual Event, link
- Mattew Jones et. al. Interactive, geospatial visualization of high-resolution, pan-Arctic permafrost features in the Permafrost Discovery Gateway, Regional Conference on Permafrost and Engineering (RCOP), October 2021, Virtual Event
- Anna Liljedahl et. al. Permafrost Discovery Gateway: A project overview, Regional Conference on Permafrost and Engineering (RCOP), October 2021, Virtual Event
- Todd Nicholson et. al. Developing Hybrid Machine Learning Pipelines Using Cloud and HPC Resources for the Permafrost Discovery Gateway, Regional Conference on Permafrost and Engineering (RCOP), October 2021, Virtual Event
- Amit Hasan et. al. Understanding the effect of image augmentation on deep learning convolutional neural net algorithms, Regional Conference on Permafrost and Engineering (RCOP), October 2021, Virtual Event
- Elias Manos et. al. Automated recognition of ice-wedge polygon troughs and human-built infrastructure in the Arctic permafrost landscapes using commercial satellite imagery, Regional Conference on Permafrost and Engineering (RCOP), October 2021, Virtual Event
- Nicholson, Todd et. al. Creating a Permafrost Discovery Gateway – Providing Researchers and the Public with access to arctic data, Gateways, October, 2021, Virtual Event, link
- Anna K Liljedah et. al. The Permafrost Discovery Gateway: A web platform to enable knowledge-generation from big geospatial data, AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts, pages C016-08, 2020.
Talks and Presentations
- Rajitha Udawalpola, Automated mapping of Arctic permafrost tundra using sub-meter resolution satellite imagery, ParslFest 2020 – The Parsl Community Meeting(Virtual). Wednesday, October 7, 2020.