The aim of this project is to implement a reliable energy monitoring system which can measure current and voltage values to calculate useful parameters in order to produce useful outcomes or to carry out certain functionalities like device identification, pattern recognition, cost prediction etc. For this a set of smart plug devices are connected to a central device via wireless technology.
PhD (Reading, UCD, Ireland), MSc (Norway), BScEng (Hons) (Ruhuna), IEEE, IEEE ComSoc, ACM, IESL, ICS (Irish Computer Society)
Mr. P. S. Ranaweera is a Lecturer attached to the Department of Electrical and Information Engineering since 2014. He graduated from University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka in 2010 and received the Lanekassen scholarship for pursuing the Master’s Degree in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in 2013 from University of Agder, Norway. Currently he is pursuing his PhD studies in University College Dublin, Ireland under the UCD School of Computer Science Scholarship. Pasika is experienced in conducting teaching/ instructing/ demonstration work at international universities (UCD-Ireland, BDIC-China). He has authored / co-authored various book chapters, international journals, magazine articles, and conference papers in addition to his local university level publications. He is currently conducting collaborative research with researchers at USJP-Sri Lanka, IIT-India, UCD-Ireland, and UoM-Mauritius. He is a member of the research groups of Netslab, 6Genesis and PEL based on UCD and University of Oulu. Pasika is focused on enhancing the security measures in light-weight virtualization deployments of Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC), while his main research focus is directed to service migration aspect of edge computing paradigms. His additional research directives extend to the areas of lightweight security protocols, formal verification, security and service quality optimization, 5G and MEC integration technologies (SDN, NFV, Blockchain), privacy preservation techniques, and IoT security. In addition to the research work he serves as a reviewer for IEEE IoT journal, IEEE IoT Magazine, SN Computer Science, and various IEEE hosted conferences and workshops under the IEEE Communication Society (also a member of IEEE ComSoc).
- Multi-Access Edge Computing
- Service Migration
- Security and Service Quality Optimization
- Security in IoT
- Security Protocols in ICT Systems
- Formal Verification of Security Protocols
- Computer Network security
- Privacy of Cloud/Edge Computing solutions
- Machine Learning
- Vehicular Networks
- University College Dublin, Ireland: Research conducted under Netslab laboratory for Improving the Security in Service Migration of Multi-Access Edge Computing
- University of Oulu, Finland: Research on Immersive methods for integrating Multi-Access Edge Computing with 5G Infrastructure under 6Genesis project
- University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka: Collaborative Research with Dr. Chamitha De Alwis – Improving the IoT Feasibility for Emerging Applications with Multi-Access Edge Computing Infrastructure Provisions; emphasis on e-health, consumer trading, AR/VR/MR, IIoT, and Online Education.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee: Awaneesh Kumar Yadaw – Formal Verification on Security Protocols Proposed for Service Migration in Multi-Access Edge Computing; emphasis on model-based verification via tools and employing BAN/ GNY logics.
- University of Mauritius, Mauritius: Vashish Imrith – Optimal Automated Security Service Deployment and Orchestration Leveraging Resource Constrained Edge Nodes for 5G based IoT applications; emphasis on Fog computing and Service Function Chaining (SFC) under virtualization platforms.
- EE4310 Communication Theory
- EE5302 Computer Networks
- EE7206 Machine Learning
- EE7234 Advanced Data Communication
- EE8257 Information Security
- Eranda Jayatunga, Pasika Ranaweera, Indika Anuradha Mendis.” Blockchain Advances and Security Practices in WSN, CRN, SDN, Opportunistic Mobile Networks, Delay Tolerant Networks ”, in Handbook of Research on Blockchain-Enabled Privacy and Access Control , 1st ed., vol. 1, IGI Global, 2020.
A. D. Jurcut, P. S. Ranaweera, L. Xu.”Introduction to IoT Security”, in IoT Security : Advances in Authentication, 1st ed., vol. 1, Wiley, 2019.
- Gardiyawasam Pussewalage, Harsha Sandaruwan, and P. Sashmal Ranaweera. “Secure multi-party based cloud computing framework for statistical data analysis of encrypted data.” Master’s thesis, Universitetet i Agder/University of Agder, 2013. URL: https://uia.brage.unit.no/uia-xmlui/handle/11250/137598
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Pasika Ranaweera, Madhusanka Liyanage, and Anca Delia Jurcut. ” MEC Enabled 5G Use Cases: A Survey on Security Vulnerabilities and Countermeasures”, ACM Computing Surveys, 2021.
- Pasika Ranaweera, Madhusanka Liyanage, and Anca Delia Jurcut. “Survey on Multi-Access Edge Computing Security and Privacy”, IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorials, 2021. URL : https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9364272
- Jurcut, Anca, Tiberiu Niculcea, Pasika Ranaweera, and Nhien-An Le-Khac. “Security considerations for Internet of Things: A survey.” SN Computer Science 1 (2020): 1-19. URL : https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s42979-020-00201-3
- Pasika Ranaweera, Madhusanka Liyanage, and Anca Delia Jurcut. “Novel MEC based Approaches for Smart Hospitals to Combat COVID-19 Pandemic.” IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine (2020). URL: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/9226075/
- Thamashi Malaviarachchi; Thadeesha Perera; Supun Perera; Pasika Ranaweera, “Autonomous Approach for High Voltage Transmission Line Inspection and Fault Detection”, published in International Journal of Simulation Systems, Science & Technology (IJSSST) vol. 17, issue. 32, paper no. 14, available at : https://ijssst.info/Vol-17/No-32/paper14.pdf
- Vibhatha Abeykoon; Nishadi Kankanamdurage; Anuruddha Senevirathna; Pasika Ranaweera; Rajitha Udawalpola, “Electrical Devices Identification through Power Consumption using Machine Learning Techniques”, published in International Journal of Simulation Systems, Science & Technology (IJSSST) vol. 17, issue. 32, paper no. 13, available at : https://ijssst.info/Vol-17/No-32/paper13.pdf
Indexed Peer Reviewed Full Length Conference Papers
Pasika Ranaweera, Anca Jurcut, and Mahusanka Liyanage,”Realizing Multi-Access Edge Computing Feasibility: Security Perspective”, IEEE Conference on Standards for Communications and Networking, Granada, Spain, October 2019.
Pasika Ranaweera, Vashish N. Imrith, Mahusanka Liyanage, Anca Delia Jurcut “Security as a Service (SECaaS) Platform Leveraging Multi-Access Edge Computing Infrastructure Provisions”, in IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2020, Dublin, Ireland, June 2020.
Vashish N. Imrith, Pasika Ranaweera, Rameshwar A. Jugurnauth, and Mahusanka Liyanage, “Dynamic Orchestration of Security Services at FOg Nodes for 5G IoT”, in IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2020, Dublin, Ireland, June 2020.
P. S. Ranaweera; S.H.R. Madhuranga; H.F.A.S. Fonseka; D.M.L.D. Karunathilaka, “Electronic Travel Aid System for Visually Impaired People”, Information and Communication Technology (ICoICT), 2017 5th International Conference on , Malacca, Malaysia, 17-19 May 2017 Available at : http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8074700/
P. S. Ranaweera; D. C. Alahakoon; K. S. S. Prabhashwara and A. M. G. V. I. Lakmal, “Autonomous Transmission Line Inspection and Fault Detection System”, Moratuwa Engineering Research Conference (MERCon), 2018 4th International Conference on , Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 1 Jun. 2018, Available at : https://events.infovaya.com/presentation?id=34769
Pasika Ranaweera; Thamashi Malaviarachchi; Thadeesha Perera; Supun Perera, “Self-Sustaining Autonomous System for High Voltage Transmission Line Inspection and Fault Detection in Sri Lanka”, Micro and Nano Technologies Modeling & Simulation (MNTMSim), 2016 1st IEEE International Conference on , vol., no., pp.35,42, Kuala Lampur, Malaysia, 1-3 Mar. 2016
Harsha S. Gardiyawasam Pussewalage; Pasika S. Ranaweera; Vladimir A. Oleshchuk; Indika A. M. Balapuwaduge, “Secure Multi-party based Cloud Computing Framework for Statistical Data Analysis of Encrypted Data”, Innovations in Clouds, Internet and Networks (ICIN), 2016 19th International Conference on , vol., no., pp.22,28, Paris, France, 1-3 Mar. 2016
Sandaruwan, G.P.H.; Ranaweera, P.S.; Oleshchuk, V.A., “PLC security and critical infrastructure protection”, Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), 2013 8th IEEE International Conference on , vol., no., pp.81,85, 17-20 Dec. 2013, Available at :http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6731959/
Vibhatha Abeykoon; Nishadi Kankanamdurage; Anuruddha Senevirathna; Pasika Ranaweera; Rajitha Udawalpola, “Real Time Identification of Electrical Devices through Power Consumption Pattern Detection”, Micro and Nano Technologies Modeling & Simulation (MNTMSim), 2016 1st IEEE International Conference on , vol., no., pp.11,18, Kuala Lampur, Malaysia, 1-3 Mar. 2016
Adhikari, A.M.T.B.; Ranaweera, P.S.; Kumara, B.G.U.; Ranawaka S.R., “Object Recognition System”,The Institute of Engineers and Technology Young Professionals Section, 2010 IET YPS Annual Technical Conference on, 16 Oct. 2010
Papers in Local Research Forums
- Adhikari, A.M.T.B.; Ranaweera, P.S.; Kumara, B.G.U.; Ranawaka S.R., “Object Recognition System”,The Institute of Engineers and Technology Young Professionals Section, 2010 IET YPS Annual Technical Conference on, 16 Oct. 2010
- Pasika Ranaweera, Madhusanka Liyanage, and Anca Delia Jurcut. ” Identifying Factors Enabling the Enhancement of Service Migration of Multi-Access Edge Computing”, 2021 Joint European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC) & 6G Summit, Porto, Portugal.
- Logistics Chairman – Organizing Committee – International Conference in Advances of Electrical and Information Engineering (ICAEIE) – June, 2014
- Logistics Chairman – Organizing Committee – Pre-conference Workshop – IEEE International Conference on Information & Automation for Sustainability (ICIAfS) – December, 2014
- Advisory Committee Member – XbotiX Ruhuna Robotic Challenge – 2015-2017
- Staff Representative – Alumni Association of Ruhuna Electrical and Information Engineers (AAREIE) – 2016-2017
- Logistics Coordinator for the Departments’ IESL Reaccreditation Process – 2016
- Coordinator – High Voltage Laboratory Outsourcing for Educational Purposes – 2016 – 2017
- Advisory Committee Member – IEEE App Contest – 2017
- Advisory Committee Member – Thambarawila Student Concert – 2018
- Faculty Coordinator – TECHNO Engineering Exhibition 2015.
- Academic Sub-warden for Male Hostels – 2015-2016.
- Organizing Committee Member – Annual Research Symposium (ARS) – 2016.
- Committee Member – Committee for Preparing the Faculty Student Handbook – 2016.
- TPC Member – IEEE ICC’20 Workshop – BIoTCPS – 2020
- PhD Scholarship in UCD School of Computer Science 2018 – € 125,000
- Norwegian Lanekassen Scholarship 2011 – € 22,000