Engineering Faculty Student Union (EFSU) is the students’ body which represents fellow students of the Faculty. The EFSU consists of 13 representatives of students and one office bearer as Senior Treasurer from academic staff in the Faculty of Engineering, University of Ruhuna, who are elected for one year. Students can get actively involved with the union by becoming a committee member and attending councils and general meetings or by becoming an elected officer.
The EFSU is at the forefront to help lift the faculty for academic excellence in engineering sciences and applications through education, knowledge creation, innovation and transfer of technology while encouraging students to improve their leadership qualities to become world-class graduates. The EFSU organizes social service programs and entertainment events to provide students with a solid platform and exposure to express their talents during the stay at the university. Some of the specific activities carried out by the EFSU include:
- Holding Annual General Meeting to elect office bearers for a tenure of one year.
- Holding common meetings to make decisions on students’ issues
- Maintaining Ruhuna Engineering Faculty Scholarship Foundation (REFSF) to provide financial scholarships to needy students in the faculty
- Organizing entertaining and musical events in collaboration with the Art Society of the Faculty
- Organizing sport events in collaboration with the Sports Club of the Faculty
- Organizing various social programs as community services to the society being the recipients of the benefits of free education.