Full-Time Ph.D. Scholarship under Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) – University of Ruhuna (UOR) Split Ph.D. Program
Title: Construction Safety Management Using Digital Twins
Research project is based on the real time visualization of environmental parameters of a construction site, by means of a suitable information system.
Globally, the Construction industry is dangerous. Because of the industry’s poor performance in health and safety, the Australian Work Health and Safety (WHS) Strategy 2012–2022 identified Construction as a priority industry for improvement. Despite the efforts over a decade to improve safety on-site both by researchers and industry practitioners, the Construction industry reported the third-highest number and rate of fatalities in 2021. Even though emerging technologies have the potential to improve safety management practices, such solutions are under-researched partly because the Construction industry is slow in innovation adoption compared to other industries. The aim of this project is to use novel Building Information Modelling (BIM) and image capture techniques to visualise site dynamics. The capability to monitor hazardous environmental conditions on-site based on parameters such as temperature, humidity, vibration and noise levels will be utilised for better safety management. These quantitative data will be represented in a geospatial digital twin model of the constructed physical space using the heat map visualisation technique. This enables triggering early warnings of hazardous conditions proactively. The data from commercial construction sites will be used in the project. The findings of this project will make a step change in the Construction industry by assisting the adoption of emerging technologies in the sector to solve a significant industry problem.
UOR supervisors: Dr. Keerthi Gunawickrama (tel: 0718241787) and Prof. Subashi De Silva
RMIT supervisors: Dr. Ruwini Edirisinghe and Prof. Sujeeva Setunge
Commencement Date: Soon after the Ph.D. position is filled
Features of the PhD:
• Duration of the PhD is 3-3..5 years on a full-time basis and the candidate will spend a maximum of one year at RMIT, Australia and the remaining time in Sri Lanka.
• The tuition fee is fully waived, and the selected candidate will get the standard scholarships for living stipend during the stay in Sri Lanka and Australia.
• There will be at least one principal supervisor each from RMIT and UOR.
• Degree will be awarded from both institutions acknowledging the joint supervision. You will get separate degree certificates, one each from RMIT and UOR.
Successful candidates should have the following:
1. BSc (Computer Science, Computer Engineering) with Second Class Upper Division or higher
2. Knowledge and skills in ICT (software development, embedded systems)
3. IELTS overall band of 6.5 with each band above 6.0
We are looking for a dynamic candidate who meets the above qualifications.
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be called for the interview. If you have any queries or need any further information, please contact Dr Keerthi 0718241787